if you are making this without the margarita or the tea, just steep 1/2 cup of dried hibiscus with 4 cups of boiling water. Let cool and use the softened flowers for your dish.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup reserved softened, hibiscus flowers
- ¼ cup diced red onions
- 3 Tbsp diced green peppers
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper more if you like it spicy
- ¼ tsp salt more if needed
- ¼ tsp black pepper more if needed
- 1 Tbsp of cilantro rough chopped
- 2 10-12 inch flour tortillas
- 8 thin slices of queso fresco I used La morenita brand
- 1 ripe avocado divided
- 1 Tbsp sour cream divided
In a medium sized skillet, heat oil on medium high. Saute onions and bell peppers until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about thirty seconds, dont let it burn! Add the reserved flowers and saute until warmed through, about 3 minutes. Season with cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper. Add Chopped cilantro and remove from the heat.
Grease a large skillet with cooking spray and set to medium heat. Lay a tortilla down and on one half, add 2 slices of cheese. Top with Hibiscus mixture and 2 more slices of cheese. Fold empty half over and cook until cheese is melted and tortilla has browned and is crisp! ( lower the heat if needed to let the cheese melt)
Remove from the pan and cut into 2 or four pieces. Repeat with the other tortilla and serve with lime wedges, avocados, and sour cream.